06 May 2008

God Bless America.....

I voted,
I've got proof....
a sticker,
but more importantly,
I have exercised my right to my opinion in this election.
I truly want what is the best for this country.
I don't believe that anyone......... anyone, can tell me what that is..... exactly. I know that no one wants war. I don't. And I know that no one likes more taxes, I don't. And I am pretty sure that no one wants to pay more for gas, I don't .
But I am so proud to be an American.
Americans really are very different from others, maybe it is the "mixture" that we result from....
We are so idealistic, naive, perhaps dumb, but always we stick up for the underdog. It is a our Achilles heel. We are so anxious to help the one that seems to have the worst situation, that sometimes we rush in without thinking. We are basically co-dependent. We feel such a strong need to make things right, that we are like the proverbial "bull in a china shop".
When I go to Europe, I see it. Americans acting like idiots, without any knowledge of the fact. I am embarrassed for us all when I see it.
AND, we are so surprised to find that others do not like us......
We have a PR problem.
Yes, that's it..
Perhaps a small portion of our defense budget should go to PR, say 100 million. We could hire the most successful marketing firm on Wall Street. Then when we go for our holidays abroad, they would be glad to see us..........the former "ugly Americans".
My first party affiliation was "Independent". As an eighteen year old I could not stand the idea of being labeled, so I picked how I thought.
I still think that way, even though I am more practical now.
We are so blessed in this country,....
anyone who feels differently, in my opinion, hasn't traveled enough. You don't have to go to an exotic locale to see how lucky we all are.....
Just hop a plane to England, same language supposedly, and yet, they clearly see how lucky we are, they all want to come here, even when they won't admit it.
To quote an eloquent Englishman, "You know, it's gonna be alright!" (think John Lennon)
I am proud to be an American.....
call me a patriot.

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who has taken a history class should also be labeled a patriot! To KNOW how hard that our ancestors fought to give us the freedoms we have today. Including the freedom to vote!

    How quickly that history class dissipates when we don't want to hear it - too busy being "free." I guess we could also be labelled victims of our own freedoms. Spoiled brats.

    People are too quick to forget... And to think - we also have the power to change the things we don't agree with.

    Hmm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment...I am grateful....smiles.