15 October 2009

Dig the Pig!...



OK,
I am not kidding here...
I have a strange fascination with
Not that I would like to be
buried there or anything like that...
it's not a morbid fascination,
its just that when I was
growing up....
many long years ago,
the Piggly Wiggly stores were located,
only at the beach,
and therefore, took on a sort of
mystic...sort of like the aura
you might find around the
Now,
back to the PGs
Back then, groceries at the beach
were only a slight step up from the
road side market...
there might be sand on the floor...
maybe a dog lounging by the cash register
(perhaps to scare away potential robbers)
and well,
you might also find
more hog's jowls,
fat back,
gizzards,
and of course,
(I must interject here that the spellchecker doesn't recognize this word)
in the meat dept than
what we currently identify as "meat".
So it is with this understanding that you
see I simply couldn't believe what I saw
as I stepped into the new PG,
located in the development that has sprung up
on the former Air Force Base at Myrtle Beach....
Trader Joe's might have a difficult time competing with this
place for variety, cleanliness, bright sunny faces,
flowers,
salad bar,
wine dept,
gourmet foods....
and
get ready...
Holy Hog Heaven, Batman!
I had to buy a T-shirt!
Smiles.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always fascinated by chain grocery stores in other cities.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment...I am grateful....smiles.